Saturday, March 29, 2008

While My Guitar Gently Weeps???

I walked past the stairway that leads to our basement last night like I did many times each day. For some reason, when I glanced over and saw the acoustic guitar laying against the wall down there, I thought "my guitar is gently weeping down there". And immediately after that I realized that it could make for a lame post on my blog!


You see, I was never a Beatles fan and the first time I've ever heard of the song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was from the famous Jake Shimabukkuro Youtube video. At first I thought the song was about the guy playing the 'ukulele so well that it makes a guitar weep. Of course, that couldn't have been further from being correct as I found out shortly after.


As you can see from the picture, my guitar is sitting in the middle of the stairway down to the basement. The fence there is to keep my kids and dog from going down there. Since the basement is unfinished, no one really needs to go down there anyway. I bought that guitar about 8-9 years ago from Guitar Center thinking I would learn how to play it. It turned out that I strummed it maybe 3 times before lending it to people at my church to play it. It sat unplayed at the church for the past few of years so I brought it back home last year. It had been moved around a few times but other than a few courtesy strums, it sits unplayed in the gig bag. In some ways my original assumption for the song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" can be applied to this case. I play my 'ukuleles so much that I don't ever think about learning the guitar. So in my case, my guitar is truly weeping while I hack away at my 'ukuleles.

Anyway, I thought that picture and the stupid story could be worth a chuckle. If not, know that I take the word "ghetto" in this blog seriously and a lame story like this should be expected once in a while....:P

4 comments:

Phredd said...

That's not lame at all. I enjoyed your post, as I do all of them. Thanks for having this blog and sharing your insights.

GX9901 said...

Hi phredd, thanks for your comment. I really apprieciate it!

Steve said...

Is there any way to share the TAB for weeps? I sure would love it... I can't find it anywhere... c-clinger@hotmail.com

GX9901 said...

You can find it at Live 'Ukulele's Tabs section:

http://liveukulele.com/tabs/

Which uke should I bring on my next trip to Oahu???

What's the maximum you'd spend on a ukulele case for your best uke?

If you could steal one of my ukes, which one would it be???

How curly do you like your koa? (preferably on a uke)

What's the maximum number of ukes a perfectly sane person should have???

Poll: How often do you play the ukulele???

Poll: Which guitar company's approach to ukes do you prefer???

Poll: What's your favorite type of headstock???

Poll: The new basic Collings concert uke (UC-1) sells for about $1k, your reaction is: