Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thrilled!

Several weeks ago a video of Jake Shimabukuro playing a version of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" surfaced on Youtube. Upon viewing it the first time I instantly fell in love with it. I'm not a Michael Jackson fan and didn't even know what "Thriller" sounded like, but this almost had the same effect as "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" had on me.

So I really wanted to learn this song. Problem is, there is no tabs for it yet, and I do not have the skills to learn it by ear. The video didn't have a straight on view of Jake's fretboard, so I was able to only learn a few of the first notes from that. Last week fellow Youtube uker clevacheva posted a video of this arrangement that had a decent view of the fretboard, so I tried to learn it from watching this video. After 3 days of practice, the result is what you see below. There are some parts that still doesn't sound right to me, but I'm really excited to be able to "play" this song! I will likely post an updated video of it in the future once I get more proficient at it, but I'm pretty happy to be able to play even at this level after a few days of learning it.

I hope you enjoy, or at least get a laugh out of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fab job, GX!

Which uke should I bring on my next trip to Oahu???

What's the maximum you'd spend on a ukulele case for your best uke?

If you could steal one of my ukes, which one would it be???

How curly do you like your koa? (preferably on a uke)

What's the maximum number of ukes a perfectly sane person should have???

Poll: How often do you play the ukulele???

Poll: Which guitar company's approach to ukes do you prefer???

Poll: What's your favorite type of headstock???

Poll: The new basic Collings concert uke (UC-1) sells for about $1k, your reaction is: