Saturday, March 14, 2009

Sliding on the Santo

The DaSilva Santo reproduction I just got is really a pretty cool little ukulele, with emphasis on "little". I still can't get over how small it is! I had thought that sopranos are the easiest size to play but when you're trying to fit your fingers into compressed spaces past the 12th fret (the Santo is in fact a slightly short scale soprano, checking in at 13"), all of a sudden those Jake Shimabukuro songs become pretty challenging to play.

The uke's got a big sound for such a small body and the workmanship and decorations on it are spectacular. I waited more than double the originally promised delivery date for this guy but I think the end result is worth it.

Here's a quick demo of this ukulele playing Craig Robertson's Staten Island Slide.

No comments:

Which uke should I bring on my next trip to Oahu???

What's the maximum you'd spend on a ukulele case for your best uke?

If you could steal one of my ukes, which one would it be???

How curly do you like your koa? (preferably on a uke)

What's the maximum number of ukes a perfectly sane person should have???

Poll: How often do you play the ukulele???

Poll: Which guitar company's approach to ukes do you prefer???

Poll: What's your favorite type of headstock???

Poll: The new basic Collings concert uke (UC-1) sells for about $1k, your reaction is: