Saturday, August 15, 2009

Jay Chou (周杰倫) on the ukulele??

Several weeks ago I saw a video on Youtube by kenlou1274 playing a song called "Dandelion's Promise" (蒲公英的約定) by Taiwanese singer Jay Chou (周杰倫). I've listened to several of Jay Chou's songs as he is a very popular singer in Asia, but I wasn't familiar with this one. I thought it was a cool arrangement and I actually found this song on my iPod (got tons of Chinese language songs on it that I haven't even listened to). So I decided to try and learn this by watching kenlou1274's video. It was a fairly straight forward arrangement but it wasn't easy for me to learn for some reason. It took a couple of weeks before I can play it all the way through reasonably. Since I got some time this afternoon I decided to give it a shot and made a video playing this song. It's not quite as good as kenlou1274's (check out his skills on his channel. I dream of being able to play 3rd Stream some day.), but I'm happy with it.

By the way, I seem to be more of a visual learner. I have learned a few songs by watching Youtube videos where the fretboard is clearly visible. I don't think I can quite learn by ear yet, but a clear video definitely helps me a lot. A few people have commented to me that they've learned a few songs from watching the videos I've posted, and I'm very happy to have been able to help out a few people out there wanting to learn more ukulele arrangements.

Happy strumming to all!


6 comments:

Ukulele Tabs said...

Ouaw! Very nice ukulele, love it !

UP - Ukulele Persepective said...

Great song. I am going to write about you learning this song on my blog. Any chance you worked out the tabs for it? - Ukulele Perspective

UP said...

P.S. Could you encourage folks who love the ukulele to answer my survey at http://tinyurl.com/ukulele-quest

Hope you will too. Thanks.

GX9901 said...

Hi UP,

Thanks for your comments. I have not worked out the tabs to this or any song I've learned on my own. Mostly due to lack of tools to make tabs and being too lazy to do it. :p

Uku-Boy said...

really great play, would really wanna play it like you did. i hope u can share the tabs, plssss...

Johnny Boy said...

Awesome cover and excellent playing!

very very talented!

You have received many requests for tabs or chords.

possibly maybe slow things down make like a tutorial video without really having the tutorial video feel just play it a tad slower and closer shot of the ukulele haha

please and thank you!!

Which uke should I bring on my next trip to Oahu???

What's the maximum you'd spend on a ukulele case for your best uke?

If you could steal one of my ukes, which one would it be???

How curly do you like your koa? (preferably on a uke)

What's the maximum number of ukes a perfectly sane person should have???

Poll: How often do you play the ukulele???

Poll: Which guitar company's approach to ukes do you prefer???

Poll: What's your favorite type of headstock???

Poll: The new basic Collings concert uke (UC-1) sells for about $1k, your reaction is: